neyronrose (neyronrose) wrote,


Dad and A.L. and I went to the Delaware Art Museum.

I think I woke around 10:00 a.m., but was slow to get moving.  A.L. and I had originally planned to go to Longwood Gardens, but it was raining.  I tried to think of a museum in the general area that I could drive to and came up with the Delaware Art Museum, which I hadn't been to in years.  I asked Dad if he wanted to go, with next to no hope that he'd agree.

I was on the computer seeing what Glee meta about "Shooting Star" there was this morning.  I told A. I'd pick her up at 12:30 p.m.  Dad said he'd be willing to go after "Thomas the Tank Engine" was over.  He watches it every day.  Yes, it's a children's show, and he's a senior citizen.  It turned out to be one he'd seen before.  We got going after 1:00 p.m.  He wanted to take his car because it has a GPS.  Dad had printed out the directions, but left them behind.

We picked up A., who was ready and waiting.  I put "Kentmere Parkway" into the GPS, because I remembered that the art museum was right off that.  We came from our area of southeastern Pennsylvania and eventually got onto Concord Pike.  We took the Augustine cutoff, which is right after the exit for 141.  It wasn't that long after that that we got to Kentmere Parkway, and then the museum was at the end of that.  We got there around 2:30, and the museum closes at 4:00.  I didn't know it wasn't open Monday or Tuesday, but I'll try to remember that.  It's open Sundays 12-4, and the lady at admissions said it was free on Sundays.

We looked at N.C. Wyeth paintings first.  I thought they might have been borrowed from the Brandywine River Museum.  We went through a couple more small galleries and got to the Pre-Raphelite gallery.  I remembered that from previous trips.  I tried to get Dad to take pictures, since he's more experienced with cameras, but he didn't have experience with my camera and I'm not even sure what buttons he pushed.  One turned out to be a timer so you could run into the picture.  I pushed a number of buttons myself.  I finally got the camera to take pictures relatively like I had had it before.

We looked at a gallery of Colonial paintings, and one of more modern art, too.  It's a small museum.  I saw what I wanted to see.  I got a couple of postcards of Pre-Raphaelite paintings.

Dad ignored what the GPS said just as we were heading home from the museum, and we ended up getting lost, making a big circle, going past the Hagley Museum, going on 141 and finally getting back to Concord Pike.  I had been to the Hagley Museum.  Now I have been reminded how to get there from 141.  Perhaps that will be my next museum trip.

Once we were on Concord Pike, it was easy to get back into Pennsylvania.  We dropped A. off.  It was still raining, so I went back on the computer for some time.

Just before Mom went to bed, she came into my room to talk to me.  I said I was thinking of going to a Nook class at the local Barnes & Noble.  She said I could give her one of my old e-readers.  "But you hate e-readers!" I said.  "You tried it once and hated it."  Mom said that Dad had read Les Miserables on the Kobo.  She thought if there was a heavy book it might be easier to use the e-reader to read it.  I needed about three hours to get used to the idea of giving her one of the old ones.  I'll have her try all of the ones I have, but she'll probably still hate them.  I don't know what she was thinking.

The Internet cut off for a while, but I turned the router off and on again, and that seems to have fixed it.  Otherwise I was going to try to update my LiveJournal using my phone, and that doesn't work well.  I can do a new post, but I can't keep the options open long enough to pick "edit entry."  Also, it's a 3 1/2 inch screen.  It's actually not bad for getting e-mail.

But all in all it wasn't a bad day.  I got out of the house, saw a friend, and went to a museum.
Tags: friends, museum, travel

  • Wednesday so far

    I went to bed at 1:00 a.m. and woke at 10:20 a.m. I read The Mechanical Chrysanthemums. A few hours later: Mom and I went to get spring water. We…

  • Monday so far

    I conked out around 1:00 a.m. and got up a little before 10:00 a.m. The Big Gay Fiction Giveaway is back.…

  • Sunday

    I conked out at 10:00 p.m. and woke at 10:00 a.m. I reread some more of the Whybourne and Griffin books. I texted with J., WhiteSheepCBD and A.…

  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your IP address will be recorded