I finished reading Two Gardeners in the morning. I went out in the early afternoon to work on my plants. I didn't end up doing any digging, but I put a lot of rewritten labels in place, including for the plants I had planted on Thursday. I cut back some dead lily stalks. I'm assuming that lilies are just going relatively dormant for the winter. It's that time for some kinds of lilies, for the above-ground part to die back.
I weeded in the section of the vegetable garden where my irises are currently living. I took out a lot of small weeds with little round leaves -- chickweed? I found pieces of rhizomes for most of the irises I had planted there in the summer of 2020, and possibly for some I'd planted there in the spring of 2021. The iris borers had been busy, because several of the rhizomes had large rotten sections. I didn't dig in that section of the garden, so I didn't see the iris borers. I did see holes bored through some of the "skins" of defunct sections of rhizomes.
Also there could have been some rot simply because the weather has been very damp for most of autumn so far, after a summer of fairly frequent rain. I think we've gotten more rainfall than usual for the year. I wish we could have somehow shared all the rainwater we got with the drought- and fire-plagued West Coast.
Most of the still-solid pieces of iris rhizomes I found had new, small leaves sprouting from the edges, so they're still trying. There were two separate plants of Iris pallida Dalmatica planted there. The one by the northern side of that section of the garden was still alive. I didn't find any trace of the one on the other side. I found the tips of the leaves of a confused hyacinth. I wouldn't have thought it had gotten the period of chilling that hyacinths need. I'm pretty sure that's one of the reddish-purple ones I got cheap in a 2020 post-Easter sale of plants at our usual grocery store. From what I've seen in bulb catalogs, that could be the cultivar 'Woodstock.'
The Easter lily's long stem was dying back at the base when I took the tomato cage out from around it a couple of weeks ago. That left me with a separated stem with bulbils along leaf axils, or former leaf axils, since the leaves on the stem had mostly died off. The rosette of leaves at the very top of the stem was still green. I broke off the top and stuck it in the soil, and planted the bulbils in the pot. Some already had leaves of their own while they were still on the stem. Today I took a look at what had been the top of the stem, where many of the leaves of the rosette were still green a couple of weeks later. There were a couple of what would technically be bulblets, since they were underground, sprouting along that last bit of stem under the rosette of leaves. They even had roots. I stuck it back in the soil of the pot, since that piece of lily was still live and reproducing. The big bulb is most likely still down there in the pot, too, possibly with actual bulblets attached.
More of the stems of the pink Asiatic lilies were dying back from the top, and I nipped off the dead stems. I also did so for the Regal lily that I'd transplanted. A lot of the the leaves of other Regal lilies, the ones I hadn't transplanted, are dead now too, as that also seems to be going dormant at the right time. The stems of one of the sorts of tiger lilies near the big magnolia have died back, too. I'm not sure if they're the single or double tiger lilies. I took a lot of bulbils off the stems of what were probably the single tiger lilies a few days ago, and need to plant those.
The lilies I have that produce bulbils are the tiger lilies, the Easter lily, and the Orienpet lily. The Orienpet is a cross between an Oriental lily and a trumpet lily. The Easter lily is a trumpet lily. The tiger lily is a sort of lily with very reflexed petals, in a totally different family. I know the 'Uchida' lilies form bulblets. I planted a couple of unidentified bulblets that had leaves and roots in the herb garden a few weeks ago. One still has leaves. They're not a rosette, and they're not on a stem. Perhaps I'll find out next year.
The original strawberry plant that survived a late planting in the spring of 2020 and survived the winter in a pot in the vegetable garden, and the offset from a runner that lived in a pot with irises for some time, both seem to be getting well-established in the herb garden. Both have runners with at least a couple of "daughter" plants that have rooted into the ground.
The iris named 'Catherine' that's in the pot with the Easter lily -- lilies -- is doing well. I'd done labels for the irises I transplanted from the raised bed the other day, and put them in place.