Later: It was a fairly productive day in a couple of ways. There were other things I wanted to get done, but there always are. Since it was a nicer day today, I went out to do yardwork. I watered the plants that I had moved to the front yard. I pulled weeds out of where the spring bulbs bloomed. There's a bare patch there now from the weed pulling. Dad was finally able to get in there and mow, though, so in that sense it looks better. I suggested putting sod over the bare patch. Dad was worried about whether the leaves and flowers of the bulbs would be able to get through sod. I said that if daffodils could push their way up through asphalt to bloom, I wasn't worried about them getting through sod.
The only things aboveground now from the flower bulbs there are the leaves of a couple of 'Erlicheer' bulbs that I planted in the spring as "Summer Cheer" bulbs. Apparently that's a sort of narcissus that doesn't need any chilling. From the scent of the flowers and their appearance, they're closer to the paperwhite narcissus type. The "Summer Cheer" bulbs grew and flowered nicely. I told Dad that I could dig them up and put them in the backyard with the other 'Erlicheer' bulbs that are near the west side of the house. Also I told him that I had a lot more 'Erlicheer' bulbs, so it wasn't a tragedy if he got them with the weed whacker.
I had a lot of feelings when Dad ran over the 'Cardinal de Richelieu' rose with a lawnmower, because there was no coming back from that. Knocking the foliage off true bulbs or rhizomes is something they'll generally survive. Dad got the leaves of the tiny piece of the Iris germanica rhizome that's near the outside edge of the vegetable garden, but a new set of leaves is sprouting. Daylilies and daffodils have both came back for me after I ran them over. Mom ran over the flopped-over leaves of the probably-'Matinata' iris that was growing into the driveway a number of times, and the leaves grew back. I think a couple of times she may have run over the rhizomes themselves when she was backing the car into the driveway, and I suspect they survived even that, given that they were surface-level with the asphalt there, or had ended up with the rhizomes set a little bit lower in the ground than the surface of the driveway was set. Speaking of growing through asphalt...
After I washed up, and after lunch, Mom and I went to the church library and sorted out and shelved four more boxes of books, as well as finding useful things in the "Library - Misc." boxes. We finally got through the Dewey Decimal 200s -- the religion section, which is the huge majority of the church library non-fiction books. On our previous visit, we worked our way through six boxes, but we'd done less in the way of other things that day. Today we also got through the 300s. I was kind of ready mentally to start on the 500s to 800s boxes, but physically I'd started having back spasms, and Mom was definitely ready to be done work for the day.
Dad told me that I'd gotten the last batch of roses I'd ordered in the spring. I told Mom I'd ordered them "a long time ago." If one counts early May as "a long time ago," I guess it's accurate enough. It seems to me like early May was a long time ago. 'Carefree Beauty' was back in stock at the time. It's a Buck rose, developed to survive the cold winters of Iowa and to be generally healthy. Texas "rose rustlers" found a rose that they gave the study name of "Katy Road Pink" surviving nicely in the heat of Texas summers without needing any special care at all. I don't think the rose rustlers of Texas expected that it would turn out to be a rose so relatively modern. That's quite the range of hardiness and healthiness, plus the ability to keep flowering in harsh weather conditions. The name 'Carefree Beauty' seems apt. I also got 'Hawkeye Belle' while I was getting Buck roses, and a fairly new rose among those that honor veterans, 'Because She Served.' After Mom and I got home, I unwrapped and watered the roses, and put them in the herb garden for now.
My quiet indoors project after all that was to reuse the plastic labels that I had used for the spring bulbs, which Dad and I had pulled off the hillside while I was weeding. Being out in the weather for several months had worn the writing off many of them, which saved me the step of erasing whatever traces of marker were left. I made lots of labels for summer-flowering plants.
It was a long day.