Later: I didn't sleep a whole lot, and woke up way too early. Mom and I made a very productive trip to the grocery store in the morning. We said hi to P. I found everything I'd had on my list, and I think Mom found all she wanted, as well.
In the afternoon, I worked out in the yard for several hours. Mostly it was transplanting plants from here to there, like the 'Erlicheer' daffodils from the pot I put the bulbs in yesterday to spots where the plants would get more shelter. The leaves that came up -- too early for this climate -- were quite frost-burned. I think I'd originally gotten three bulbs, but I dug up more than three bulbs. I ended up replanting some of the 'Erlicheer' bulbs in the same areas that I planted the 'Crimson King' iris rhizomes that I also dug up yesterday and hadn't planted yet. I don't mind experimenting with the iris rhizomes if I know I have a lot of that kind of iris. I just don't want to risk the sorts that I only have one rhizome of, though if they end up in a place that's good for them, they'd do better than being potted up.
Retrospectively: I'd dug up two clumps of 'Erlicheer' daffodils, and missed the third clpump. That had three flower stalks, and I expect there are a number of bulbs in that spot, also. So out of three clumps that started out as one bulb each, there were probably at least five bulbs in each clump, perhaps more like seven.
I'd planted a couple of the 'Crimson King' iris rhizomes yesterday, one fairly near the green shed, and one near the 'Mme. Isaac Pereire' rose that's in front of the porch. There are other irises near the porch. I hope the 'Blue Staccato' iris blooms this year, and the 'Indian Chief' iris blooms again, and whatever is planted by the Judd viburnum, which could be any of the three others I got at the historic iris sale that year and didn't label. There's a strip of ground near the back door where daffodil leaves are up. I'm not sure what kind, but probably 'Ice Follies.' I dug up a little more of that strip of earth and planted a couple of the 'Erlicheer' daffodils there, and a dried-up bulb of the 'King Alfred'-type of daffodil that I'd dug up yesterday and missed when I took that bunch of bulbs to the front yard. I put an iris rhizome sort of between and over where I'd planted the daffodil bulbs.
Retrospectively: The daffodils there by the west side of the house had a flower. It was a large yellow trumpet daffodil. There's also a clump of similiar large yellow trumpet daffodils to the right in the former rose garden, as you face the lilacs.
I ended up planting a couple more 'Erlicheer' bulbs behind the green shed. Mom protested that then you could only see them from the street. We really don't use that southern part of the hill for anything. I put another 'Crimson King' iris rhizome there, too. I potted up several more 'Erlicheer' bulbs in two different pots. I may have started out with three bulbs, but I must have planted at least seven. I put more 'Crimson King' rhizomes in a pile of soil by the pot with the chocolate mint and the tiger lily in it. The last group of joined rhizomes was quite large. I think it was five or six fat rhizomes, and a couple of smaller pieces. I planted that near the green shed as well, but out in front.
I still want to dig up the 'Cheerfulness' and 'Yellow Cheerfulness' daffodils down by the mailbox, and divide those bulbs. They've been there since at least the mid-nineties, and are very crowded now. I think only one or two flowers of each sort bloomed from that clump this year. I'll take a look and see what daffodils are naturalized around here.
Retrospectively: There seem to be a couple flowers each of 'Cheerfulness' and 'Yellow Cheerfulness' at the end of April. Soon it will be time to dig and divide them.
After planting and transplanting those bulbs and rhizomes, I lay down for a while.